
Photo by Wilhelm Gunkel on Unsplash
This week the message has been pretty clear, I need to develop the gift of gratitude. Sometimes in life, is like the world is telling us to do or learn something specific, this was such an experience. The same concept was present in my scripture studies, the introduction to entrepreneurship lesson, and the PathwayConnect devotional.
Lessons from "Come, Follow Me" manual
When we receive divine guidance, we should do it with a grateful heart (DyC 78:19-20). If we have been praying, connecting with God to receive personal revelation, the answers will not necessarily be what we expect. Nevertheless, if we receive the answers with a grateful heart, with a good attitude, we should be sure about the great outcomes that will come as we follow His counsel and direction. This applies to any aspect of our lives.
When we see the world with gratitude, we also see the love from our Heavenly Father. As I heard the primary hymn "My Heavenly Father Loves Me", it struck me how gratitude towards small and simple things can make us feel loved. And also, the beautiful spirit that comes from value oneself because of the blessings He has given us. The lyrics go as follows:
Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav’nly Father created for me.
He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev’rently
For all his creations, of which I’m a part.
Yes, I know Heav’nly Father loves me.
A Journey of Gratitude
We should express gratitude towards the people that we share our journey or those who have influenced it. In an address given by the late President Thomas S. Monson during April 1992, General Conference, he listed relationships we should be grateful, to express gratitude towards them. For our mothers, fathers, teachers, friends/partners, our country (concerning the sacrifices of our ancestors), and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. This makes me wonder if I recognize what others do for me.
We should show gratefulness in our work environment. As we studied Randy Haykin's case, I valued his humbleness in recognizing areas of improvement as a leader. Regarding the topic of this post, he said "Everything is shifting. And in that shifting environment, you have got to remember to thank people. It is not so easy. I think a good leader is able to reward people at the appropriate times and keep people motivated." I know that sometimes just verbally recognizing people can make a great difference.
PathwayConnect Devotional
I had the privilege to hear again from Sister Sheri Dew, someone I did not know until this semester. She spoke about being grateful for the guidance we can receive through prophets. She mentioned the inspired revelation that led to the #GiveThanks videos released on November 20, 2020. In which President Nelson invited us to have an attitude of gratefulness in the difficult times we are living. In his enlightened words "Does gratitude spare us from sorrow, sadness, grief, and pain? No, but it does soothe our feelings. It provides us with a greater perspective on the very purpose and joy of life."
Today, as I was looking for references for this post, I found this article regarding the words of gratitude for the opening of temples after a long time from President Nelson. Shouldn't I be more grateful every day?
Comments
Post a Comment