![]() |
| Photo by Ryan Pernofski on Unsplash |
I thought this week I would not make it... but here it is!
Self-esteem. This is a concept I have seen many times this week. Interestingly, that is something that seems to overflow in people in business. Sometimes even tending t arrogance. But one concept regarding self-esteem stood out for me, humility.
Why would self-esteem be related to humility? Clayton M. Christensen, in an address to Harvard Business students, reflected with them about this concept. According to them, humble people had a high level of self-esteem, and “humility was defined not by self-deprecating behavior or attitudes but by the esteem with which you regard others". Having this concept of humility leads to good behavior, "you would never steal from someone, because you respect that person too much", and a good attitude towards learning, because "if you have a humble eagerness to learn something from everybody, your learning opportunities will be unlimited".
From the inside...
In my personal experience, I have seen this in action. Once I started to change the way I viewed myself, with more love and care, it helped me see others in the same way. When I took that decision to work from the inside, the effects weren't in my view. But as I look back, how could someone with low self-esteem have the courage to stand for what they believe? Or have the confidence to stand in front of others to share their vision? Or even start to fight for their dreams? The change must come from the inside.
... to the outside
Treating others with respect, learning from everyone, or celebrating their success, has been a part of me for a long time. But understanding this concept has added another layer to this, the layer of responsibility. As someone in charge of others, what can I do to make their life better? Help them to develop their talents? Feel seen and listened?

Comments
Post a Comment